Monday, August 31, 2009

Writing as Prayer

Consistency is not my strong suit. I get interested in a topic and for several weeks I devour everything I can find. Then I lose interest and move onto something else. According to George Leonard, in his book Mastery, I am a Dabbler. It's not always a bad thing. I love to learn. Being a dabbler means I learn lots of things. But it does make it hard to master something like photography or exercising or eating well or sermon preparation or blogging. Inconsistency is the death of bloggers.

This morning I decided that I want to master one thing. But what one thing should I choose? I'm interested in blogging right now. I'm still working on my sermon preparation process. Worship is my main focus at the church. I wish I were interested in mastering exercise or eating right. I realized the area that affects nearly everything right now is writing. Writing this blog. Writing my Fresh Worship blog. Writing sermons. Journaling. Tweeting. Writing even affects advertising our church's movie night and our new children's Sunday school.

So I will focus on writing. I remember reading that writer Natalie Goldberg made writing her practice. Writing, all types of writing, will be my spiritual practice. Writing will be my prayer. I won't tack on a prayer at the end of my posts. I won't just ask God for help at the beginning of a sermon. I will make the entire act of writing into prayer. It's something I can do every day.

What is your spiritual practice? What is your prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment