Friday, August 28, 2009

Stopping Along the Side of the Road

I work in Centerville, Iowa, and my husband works in Omaha. Every weekend either he comes to Centerville or I go to Omaha. Sounds strange, but it's working quite well.

Every other weekend I have a 3 1/2 hour drive to Omaha. I've gotten to really enjoy my time on the road. Frank bought me a radio that I can plug my iPod into. I download lots of podcasts, like PCUSA moderator Bruce Reyes-Chow and Carol Howard Merritt doing The God Complex, and shows from NPR, and workshops from The Calvin Institute of Christian Worship. The time flies by. Frank asked me how my trip was yesterday, and it sounded like a strange question. It went fine. It feels like a short commute from work.

But I never stop. Even when I see a beautiful old barn that I'd like to take a picture of. Even when I see a lake and a winding dirt road heading into a state park. Even when I pass the little chapel by the side of the road that I've now passed hundreds of times. Even the day that everything was coated with an inch of ice and it looked like I was surrounded by crystal sculptures. I never stop. Because I'm on my way somewhere, and I have to get there as soon as possible.

Maybe I should stop, every once in a while, to experience to beauty of the Iowa countryside, not passing it by at 55 mph focused on my podcasts, but standing still. Maybe I can take five minutes, breathe in and out, and say, "Thanks, God." And then get back in the car and continue on.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I do the same thing. But that little chaple is worth a visit. 5 minutes is sufficient.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll do it! This Thursday when I go back to Omaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have come to the conclusion that stopping along the side of the road and enjoying and thanking God for this amazingly beautiful planet is a blessing. Some things you finally get old enough to realize.

    ReplyDelete