Friday, November 13, 2009

Staying in Touch

Several years ago I did a funeral for a woman who had died of breast cancer. It made me really sad. Not because she died of breast cancer, or because she was so young (in her 40s), although that was tragic.

She was very good at staying in touch with her friends, even a friend from kindergarten. At her funeral, all those friends and family members gathered to honor her and support one another. What made me sad is that I am not very good at staying in touch with people.

How many people have I lost track of because I didn't write?

My elementary school friend Barb. She doesn't live very far from me. We connected again after years of not seeing one another, but I've let that slip away once again.

My college friends Kara and Zoe, and Andrew and Marjorie, Julia and Todd. Luckily Facebook has helped me re-connect with them.

My friend Sirkka, from Finland. She was my best friend when I spent my junior year abroad in Athens, Greece.

My birth mom. I'm adopted, and I met my birth mom for the first time eight years ago. But I don't write very often.

My friend Victoria, from Malawi, Africa. After her husband died, I even bought a sympathy card. But it never got mailed.

I always wanted to be better at staying in touch with people. Facebook has helped. But I've also found another way to stay in touch. Now I can send out a paper greeting card in about five minutes.

I'm hoping this will help me stay connected to the people who matter to me. Who knows? Perhaps I'll even start sending out Christmas cards every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment