Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Christmas Values


I’ve been thinking about Christmas lately. Our church's Advent Planning Team just met. I found the perfect quote for my Christmas cards (from our Sunday school curriculum!). And I’ve started to think about gifts.

So I’ve pulled out my favorite book about Christmas, Unplug the Christmas Machine, by Jo Robinson & Jean Coppock Staeheli. They talk about rethinking how we celebrate Christmas, taking some of the stress and materialism out and putting love and joy back in.

The authors have gone around the country doing workshops. In the workshops, they ask people to imagine what their perfect Christmas would be like.
What would the celebration be like if [you] could throw out all [your] old ideas and habits and start anew with only [your] personal tastes and preferences to take into account. The only requirement is that [you] imagine the Christmas that makes [you] feel most fulfilled.
I did the exercise a few years ago. I imagined being in a log cabin in the woods, with snow falling outside and a fire crackling inside, being with a few close family members, and enjoying a relaxing Christmas. What would your perfect Christmas look like?

Another exercise is to read through ten value statements. Cross off the ones that don’t mean anything to you. Add others that are important to you that aren’t included. Then rank the remaining items.

• Christmas is a time to be a peacemaker, within my family and the world at large.
• Christmas is a time to enjoy being with my immediate family.
• Christmas is a time to create a beautiful home environment.
• Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth of Christ.
• Christmas is a time to exchange gifts with my family and friends.
• Christmas is a time for parties, entertaining, and visits with friends.
• Christmas is a time to help those who are less fortunate.
• Christmas is a time to strengthen bonds with my relatives.
• Christmas is a time to strengthen my church community.
• Christmas is a time to be relaxed and renewed.

What are your top values for Christmas? There are no right or wrong answers. There are only the right answers for you.

I pray that this Christmas will be all that you want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment