Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Passing the Peace

Deanna, JeNel, Bill and I led worship at the Golden Age Nursing Home today. Later today, Nancy, Jim and I are going to take communion to two of our members who live in Assisted Living. I don't do a very good job scheduling those things, but once I'm there, I love it.

My favorite part of the service is "passing the peace." When we do that in a regular worship service, it's often kind of a surface thing, a casual greeting, a handshake. But when I do it at the nursing home, I touch someone, lightly on the shoulder or the hand, I look into their eyes, and I say, "The peace of Christ be with you." I go to every person there, whether they're asleep or not, whether they understand or not.

Maybe it's like Jesus blessing the children.

Something happens when we lay a hand on someone, and ask God to bless them. Something happens when we say, "The peace of Christ be with you," and mean it.

Not only are they blessed, but I am, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment