Monday, October 5, 2009

Are You Content?

Last night our small group met to discuss the third week of Adam Hamilton's study, Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity. We talked about "cultivating contentment." We were asked "What things in your life are you discontent with? What things in your life are you content with?"

I'm very content with parts of my life. I love my husband and we have a wonderful marriage. I'm very close with my family and friends. My congregation and I are a great match, and I'm nourished and challenged by my job. And my two cats are starting to get along with each other.

Of course there are parts of my life I'm not satisfied with:  eating habits, exercise, getting things done, and my prayer life.

But during the discussion, I realized that even though I am content, I don't feel content much of the time. Two weeks ago we had an incredible worship service. We had five children in Sunday school and seven who came down for the children's sermon (for our small church those are fantastic numbers). The music was powerful and moving. The children's sermon was lively and fun, and nailed the point I was trying to make (to both the kids and the adults). The sermon was good. It was one of those worship services where you feel the Spirit moving.

I enjoyed it, yes. But shortly afterward I started focusing on how frazzled I was. Trying to do too many things and some of them not working right. Not enough time between Sunday school and worship. Not able to be fully present with the people in front of me. And then I jumped into the new week without so much as a backward glance.

The reason I don't feel more content is because I don't pause long enough to think about the good things that just happened. What if I spent even five minutes on Sunday afternoon reflecting with God about the service? What if I journaled for a few minutes, painting a picture of the gifts I had received that morning? What if I called my mom or emailed my friend Linda and shared with them what had happened?

I'd like to start doing the examen. Every night, or every week, or whenever you choose, light a candle to acknowledge God's presence, and ask yourself two questions:  1) For what moment today am I most grateful? 2) For what moment today am I least grateful? The book Sleeping with Bread: Holding What Gives You Life explains the examen in more detail.

So here I go. For what moment today am I most grateful? Thinking about my sermon for Sunday enough that I have the kernel of what it will be about. And since I want to feel contentment, I'm not going to do the second half.

Now for five minutes, I'm going to feel content by thinking about all the things I'm most grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment