Thursday, September 4, 2008

Plundering the Egyptians

One of the problems with the Exodus story that we've been studying is that the Israelites were supposed to take silver, gold, and clothing from their Egyptian neighbors. It first arrises in Exodus 3:21-22, and comes true in Exodus 12:35-36.

It seems that the Egyptians gave of their treasurses willingly. The Israelites had favor in the sight of the Egyptians. Perhaps as Pharaoh's daughter had pity on Moses when she saw him in the basket, the Egyptians had pity on the Israelites.

A commentator also notes that the word for "asked" could also be translated "borrow." I find that a weak argument because I don't think anyone had any intention of giving the stuff back.

Is it a matter of reparation for all the years of slavery? I can understand that. I think I have lost the understanding of how long and how abusive this period of slavery was for the Israelites.

No comments:

Post a Comment