Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Memories


Being a pastor, I should have all kinds of religious Easter memories. I do have a few. Portraying Mary Magdalene in a sunrise service wearing shorts and high heels (although I've come to realize that's poor theology since Mary wasn't a prostitute). Preaching my first Easter sermon at a sunrise service on internship. That's about it. Christmas was all about the Christmas Eve service, but Easter was about....chocolate eggs.

My mom used to hide several hundred of these little chocolate eggs around the house every year. We'd find most of them, but there were always a few she would find months later. She would also, I've heard, make Easter a big deal for my nephews. Easter egg hunts, Easter baskets. But I wasn't there. I was there when she hid chocolate eggs for my brother and me all during our teenage years. She kept saying she was going to quit, but we wouldn't let her. I searched for little chocolate eggs long into my twenties.

Yes, that's what I remember about Easter. Not the chocolate. But my mom.

1 comment: